December 15, 2013

Stream of Consciousness

Dear M,

Stream of Consciousness is an interesting way to write while using the first person point of view. However, if not delivered properly, it could be overwhelming and confusing to the reader. Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a very good example of a story told in this mode of narration.

There is no pattern when using Stream of Consciousness. The narrator keeps moving back and forth, just as our thoughts do. Clinging to something we remember and travelling with it. And then returning to where we had left off. Since we are not strictly going in chronological order (except in a broad way), I imagine a lot of preparation is needed, so that what has to come has to be presented at the right moment. The swinging back and forth should look convincing, effortless, and not become a pain in the you-know-where. First of all, the writer should not get confused. If that part is taken care of, then the reader, the poor fella, wouldn't be.

I haven't tried the Stream of Consciousness yet. But it interests me, and I should. I am sure there will be more thoughts to share once I do.

Love.

Like this post on Facebook!

No comments :

Post a Comment